Barren and bare Fuerteventura is the 2nd largest Island but the least populated. Most of its 20000 inhabitants live in Puerto Rosario. The emptiness and desert like appearance could be its attraction. The immense beaches have been the playground of the Germans for whom wearing goggles could be classed as overdressed. Not a pretty sight!..
After 2 overnight anchorages we crossed to Gran Canaria. The acceleration winds raised their ugly head; the Southwest point was no exception. The swell was on the beam with an unpleasant motion. I did my disappearing act and lay down. I was relieved from any watch duty as it was only a 7hr. trip. At times we clocked 9.1 kt. with an average of 7kt. Remarquable considering Scorch is so overloaded. The Captain described it as a cracking sail. I won’t repeat what I called it…
Interestingly enough we meet so many people who suffer from seasickness that I am beginning to think it is a widespread problem. I hear of various medication been discussed with affects that vary from drowsiness to hallucinations. For my part I keep to pressure point bracelets. I think they help a little so I can sleep better.
We had a reception committee on arrival in Las Palmas – Gran Canaria as few friends were already there. Contrary to what we had been told and read in our Pilot book published 1994, Las Palmas was a clean, pleasant and welcoming city. The old town quarters with its black basalt Cathedral was fascinating and had up market boutiques. The beautiful park by the water front Casino/5 star hotel was full of exotic trees and flowers with waterfalls and ponds housing huge goldfish begging for food. We don’t doubt the City once warranted its adverse title but it has, obviously, been shaken by the ears and upgraded.
The Basalt Cathedral surrounded by the old city.
It is the place to stock up. There are chandleries galore with attractive prices, which the skipper could not resist. We replenished the wine cellar and bought a great quantity of tins for the Atlantic crossing. Scorch is loaded to the gunnels, the bank account diminished! We even upgraded the camera so watch out for the results.
We are now on our way to Gomera, a tropical Island south of Tenerife.
Not a castle but a cement factory at sunrise
Another magnificent Sunset
No comments:
Post a Comment